White Balance – Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?

wb1 White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?
pin it4 White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?

wb2 White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?
pin it4 White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?

This is the baLens, a fun new product I just tried out, from the PhotoJoJo Store.  It looks like a combination between a lens cap, UFO, and just strange piece of plastic.  But after seeing these results, I think I may need to order one for each of my lenses (or at least one in each size…)  And because I think that, I emailed them and asked if they could do a discount for my blog readers (and me – LOL).  I got a reply that said, “So glad you liked the WB Lens Cap!  Here is a discount you can share with your readers to let them get 10% off their order of anything from our shop through February 28th.  Hope that helps!”  YAY!!! So in case you “need” these as I do, the code is mcp4255 (enter on shopping cart page)

So now let me show you this white balance lens cap.  You attach it to your lens, instead of using your regular lens cap.  That way, wherever you go, you have a way to white balance in seconds.  The two shots above are some of the shots I took with the cap on and were used to do custom white balances as I played.
Here is the actual cap:

wb3 White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?
pin it4 White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?

But more importantly, you want to see what it could do, right.  I just went to my kids’ bookshelf and took the same basic shot in the same lighting.  First I did a custom white balance using this new tool.  The color looks great to me.

wb4 cwb White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?
pin it4 White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?

Then I took a shot on Auto White Balance.  My 5D MKII has decent AWB but still not as good as the CWB shot in my opinion.  This is subjective. To me, this AWB shot looks slightly cool but not too bad…

wb5 awb White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?
pin it4 White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?

Then for fun, I decided to try all the other settings.  This will help you understand what each does as you see how it makes this shot warmer or cooler.  I hope this helps you understand White Balance a bit more.  Please add your comment on which white balance version looks the best to you.  I love to see how others see the world of color.  And it will be fun to see the variety of responses on what people see as the “best.”

wb6 dl White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?
pin it4 White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?

wb7 sd White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?
pin it4 White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?

wb8 cl White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?
pin it4 White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?

wb9 tun White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?
pin it4 White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?

wb10 flu White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?
pin it4 White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?

wb11 fl White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?
pin it4 White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?

White Balance   Using a Fun Lens Cap to Get Better Photos?

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Google Plus

Previous Post:
Next Post:

21 Comments and 0 Replies

Andrea says:

I am excited to know about this product. It sounds a lot easier than other white balance products I have bought and used. You and your website have really been a blessing to me!

jodie says:

oh the custom looks so much better! what a great product!

jodi says:

the cwb is definitely the best, imo. this is a very cool product. i am off to check it out! thanks for the code, too!

Andrea M. says:

Fantastic! I currently use a 77mm expodisc but how nice would it be to just have the cap serve the same, yet easier, purpose – then there’s no excuse for not setting custom WB (I’m always like, “ugh, where is that thing!?”) Thanks Jodi!

Pam says:

I have the ExpoDisk and never really figured it out. This looks so much easier!
    Thanks, once again, Jodi for pointing us in the right direction.

Rose says:

I think the first one looks the best!!

That’s kind of fascinating, might have to check it out. Thanks for the hookup on the discount code!

Melissa C says:

I think the first one looks way better, Daylight and the CWB :) Thanks for the discount code info too1

Brooke Lowther says:

It’s a smidge hard to tell without seeing them side by side, but I definitely think that the AWB is cooler than the custom. I’m going to read up on that little gadget…sounds pretty neat.

Susan says:

Wow, CWB is way better. Thanks for the tip and discount!

KellieP says:

I definitely think the CWB looks best! I just ordered a couple! Thanks for the discount!

this is great!! the code for discount did not go through for me, I purchased anyway..

ttexxan says:

Looks great….Like the custom White bal much better….Wonder how it stacks up using Whitbal card

Jennie says:

I think the CWB is the best however I am drawn to the shade wb because I’m a sucker for warm photos!

Kristi says:

Thanks so much for the discount code! I love this product and think it produces the best wb!

Miz Booshay says:

I hate to ask a stupid question…but here goes…

So. You set your camera on custom white balance. Place the cap on and snap with the cap on.

Then, you take the cap off.

Do you have to set something on your camera or does it just remember the previous shot?

I can’t imagine it is this simple. Are there other buttons to push and levers to move to get the cwb to stay put?

Donna

p.s. I have a nikon D80

Jodi says:

Donna,

Yep – this “cap” literally fits like a normal cap on your camera. You have to buy the size that fits your lens. You leave it on, turn on your camera, shoot. Then you set your CWB from the menu – and tell it to use that exact photo.

Then you set your WB to CWB so your camera knows not to be on auto.

Until you tell it a new photo to use – or you take it off of CWB setting, it will stay put.

By the way, I just wrote up a more extensive White Balance post with different photos and more explanation for PW. I literally just sent it to her via email. So I would say within the week, you can see some more detail there.

Hope that helps,
    Jodi

Miz Booshay says:

Thanks Jodi. Guess I better read my manual cause I do not understand what you are talking about with the cwb. I don’t think my Nikon has that setting. It may be called preset. But I don’t know how to take the picture and use that picture. Off to read the manual.
    Thanks!

Laurie says:

Thank you so much for posting this on your site. (I found your blog through that Contest with the EYES….one of my friends had submitted a picture!!) This is one thing I really need to learn about this year! I always just put it on Automatic and go on! But after seeing these pictures…you sold me on it!! I purchased mine last night and can’t wait to get it! The customer service was AMAZING at this place. I had see something like this in the past but they were like 100 bucks and I got this for around 54.00!!! SO I am really excited!!! I will be back later on to get me some of those WONDERFUL actions of yours!!! Can’t wait!!!

Thank you so much! Can’t wait to learn a little more….
    Laurie

Lorissa says:

One question. When using the cap do you point at subject or lightsource to get WB? Thanks

Sherri says:

WOW that is an incredible little gadget
    I am definitely going to get one
    I am so tired of my WB issues