Fix It Friday – a fun Before and After Share – with Instructions

facebook Fix It Friday   a fun Before and After Share   with Instructions twitter Fix It Friday   a fun Before and After Share   with Instructions plusone Fix It Friday   a fun Before and After Share   with Instructions

I am a Judge and Contributor to a great site called I Heart Faces.  And every week they have a photo they send to a few people to work on a before and after shot.  I participate when I can.  This week’s edit was unique for me.  I am not usually all about the text.  But it turned out kinda fun so I wanted to share what I did and tell you quickly how I did it too.

Before shot:

fix it5 before Fix It Friday   a fun Before and After Share   with Instructions
pin it4 Fix It Friday   a fun Before and After Share   with Instructions

What I did next to get to the after:

1. stretched the canvas
2. cloned tree or pole out (not sure what that was…)
3. Ran Peek-a-Boo Action from MCP Complete Workflow Action Set
4. Ran Grandma’s Quilt Action from MCP Frosted Memories Set
5. Ran Crackle Action from MCP Quickie Collection
6. Flattened
7. Cropped
8. Added Dark Brown Border by Expanding Canvas using a sampled color
9. Added Text and Adjusted the Opacity so it showed background through
10. Added Drop Shadow to the Text via layer styles
11. Resized and Sharpened using MCP Crystal Clear Web Sharpening and Resize

And here was the result:

fix it5 after Fix It Friday   a fun Before and After Share   with Instructions
pin it4 Fix It Friday   a fun Before and After Share   with Instructions

Fix It Friday   a fun Before and After Share   with Instructions

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Google Plus

Previous Post:
Next Post:

21 Comments and 0 Replies

Larry Reeves says:

Thanks Jodi! This is amazing…I really love the text at the bottom, too. It totally fits the image. Great work, as always!

Karen says:

I’d love to know how you “stretched” the canvas! This is beautiful!

Jenny Carroll says:

Love what you did. I alwys enjoy “tutorials.” Thanks for posting. The wording at the bottom really makes the picture!

Melinda says:

I am always so impressed with your edits! This one in particular is just beautiful! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with all of us rookies : )

robin says:

Wow, that’s outstanding. What a creative way to revive an image!

Tammy M. says:

I would have never even thought of stretching the canvas. Looks great. I assume because the boys face is not stretched you did that in layers, any more info on that would be great. Thanks for sharing.

Lori S. says:

Jodi this is just gorgeous! I always enjoy your tutorials, keep ‘em coming. :)

Thank you sooooooo much for sharing the link to your tutorial with us! I cannot wait to try out this technique now. Fantastic fix-it!

~Angie
    co-founder of iHeartFaces

Barb Ray says:

This is wonderful! I’m with Karen…would love to know how you “stretched” the canvas!!! :o) Thanks for sharing! Now all I need is a lot of $$ so I can buy all of your actions!!! I’m a complete believer!!!! :o)

Briony says:

Yours was my favorite on the site! I loved it :) Great job!

Melissa says:

Great job changing an ordinary photo. You should show us more before & afters so that we will all know we really need to have ALL your actions. :)

Tracey says:

Maybe just because I’m so new to all of this, I’d love to know how you cloned the unknown tree/pole out of the picture! LOVE that!

Amy says:

Wow! I love your version. The stretching was a cool idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

Amy
    Co-Founder
    I Heart Faces

Shelly says:

I love it! I would also like to learn how you stretched the canvas.

Vanessa S. says:

Did you stretch the canvas in CS4?

Jodi says:

CS4 and my computer have some issues :) So I was in CS4 – but I did not use Content aware scaling as it freezes up on me and says I do not have enough RAM… So I did it manually.

Malia says:

Awesome fix! Can you explain how you stretched the canvas? I would love to apply that technique!

wow! you made a work of art! love it!

Kassia says:

Hi Jodi! I absolutely love your site and this particular fix was great. Like a lot of other posters have mentioned, I would LOVE to know how you expanded the canvas! I am stumped! Thanks for you help!!!

Jodi says:

If you do a search on my blog (under “search” at the top) for stretching the canvas – it should take you to a video tutorial I did on this technique.

Sherri says:

Oh wow this is really nice –
    Now I’m off to find that video tutorial of how you stretched the canvas ! LOL