Macros with non-macro lenses

So these two shots are not perfect macro captures but I had my Canon 135L on, and saw this HUGE bee.  So I just had to try…  Which means I just had to share… Remember not to let your equipment limit what you can shoot.

Here is the bee gathering nectar.

And my one second opportunity as the bee backed out of the flower. I wish the wings were in focus too but I was shooting portraits at f2, and did not even have time to stop down a bit.

Ok so these next ones are maybe not quite macros either – but these were shot with a LensBaby Composer. I used the 4.0 aperture disk.  ISO100 – speed varied on each shot. In manual mode but I just kept adjusting since aperture stays steady. Kids were at camp so nature was my subject…

lensbaby 17 Macros with non macro lenses
pin it4 Macros with non macro lenses

The bees sure are happy at this time of the year…

lensbaby 25 Macros with non macro lenses
pin it4 Macros with non macro lenses

And these were made possible because of morning dew and some spiders working hard.

lensbaby 12 Macros with non macro lenses
pin it4 Macros with non macro lenses

lensbaby 15 Macros with non macro lenses
pin it4 Macros with non macro lenses

Macros with non macro lenses

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Google Plus

Previous Post:
Next Post:

13 Comments and 0 Replies

Lisa L says:

Love the morning dew ones! They look like someone was throwing water at something. Nature seems to be my subject a lot lately…it always smiles, doesn’t make faces or put its hand in front of its face like my teens do!

Sarah says:

I am absolutely in love with that last shot! Stunning.

Terry Lee says:

Hey Jodi….LOVE the nature shots. Sometimes it’s more about capturing the moment than the perfect
    equipment…they are gorgeous. I didn’t shoot my lilies this year in thinking that I didn’t have the macro lens that I want (I get frustrated) and they were huge and white and stunning…rats… I enjoy photographing nature, too, but this summer has been more of a “learning photoshop” summer than a shooting one for me (except for my boys and their activities :), so it’s great to see that you are!!! thank you for sharing. that was fun!

Tracy says:

All great shots, but I especially like the last one!

Kelly says:

They have a macro kit for the lensbaby too! I love it. See in a new way ;-)

Rose says:

Those last ones are AMAZING!!

Silvina says:

I LOVE that last shot!!!

Wow! These are gorgeous!

Amy Hoogstad says:

Jodi, these are incredible!!!!!!!

Love the morning dew photos too! :) So fun!

Katie Scott says:

OOOOH I would LOVE a lensbaby!!! Seeing in a new way for me involves taking classes! It inspires me to try new things and the assignments keep me on my toes!

Debbie Perrin says:

Seeing in a new way for me was like getting another set of eyes! After all the help from MCP actions, my eyes are definitely seeing light in a new way! Everything I look at lately, is through my “photographer’s eyes”, seeing the light, compostion, rule of thirds, in everything I see! Having a lensbaby, would definitely add to my collections of “eyes”!!!!

Sorry – I should read “I now see..”