Do you prefer babies in color or black and white? I would love your opinions on this image and which you prefer for this image from Jen Baker.
For this week’s blueprint, I did the following edits:
- 1st curves adjustment layer – lifted midtones 1.5 boxes (with extra grid on) – masked back the blanket
- 2nd curves adjustment layer – lifted blues up a tiny bit to decrease yellow – very slight amount
- 3rd curves adjustment later – lifted greens up to decrease magenta. I only wanted to get magenta off the hands and chest – so I inverted the mask and painted the change on using a low opacity soft edge brush.
- Ran Crackle from the MCP Quickie Collection – at 41%. Inverted and painted on the eyes and lips so they would have more definition – but keep the rest of the baby soft.
- Ran Powder Your Nose from the MCP Magic Skin Action Set – at 47%. Painted on skin where desired. Avoided lips, hair and creases that I wanted to keep defined.
For the Black and White – I used the “Base” made from the color edit. Then I ran Vanilla Ice Cream from the Quickie Collection. I used the mask on the over exposure fix layer and allowed it to get detail back from the blanket, but opted to mask back the skin so it would be really bright and airy. If I wanted a slightly more realistic skin tone, I would not have masked the skin – and it would have been darker. This was the look I was after though.6 Ways to Change Your Perspective for More Interesting Photographs: Part 1
Next Post: My Favorite New Subjects to Photograph