5 Tips For Increasing Your Photography Facebook Fan Page Reach

facebook 5 Tips For Increasing Your Photography Facebook Fan Page Reach twitter 5 Tips For Increasing Your Photography Facebook Fan Page Reach plusone 5 Tips For Increasing Your Photography Facebook Fan Page Reach

5 Tips For Increasing Your Photography Facebook Fan Page Reach

Do you want more potential and current customers to “like” your Facebook Page? If you aren’t using Facebook to market your business, you are missing out on a great source of free marketing.  Facebook is not only free, but it can put you in front of hundreds, even thousands, of people regularly to promote your business.  You may not be surprised, but social media is the number one online activity and Facebook fans are very regular users.  In fact, many of you have noticed that your Facebook page gets 3 times the traffic of your site, and this trend is continuing to grow daily.

If you haven’t already, we recommend that you have your own business page, and not use just your personal page for promoting your business.  Once you have your business page, invite all of your friends to “like” your business page.  Then be sure to post images and engage with your friends and fans.

Here are 5 tips that we encourage you to use to build that fan base:

like thumb 5 Tips For Increasing Your Photography Facebook Fan Page Reach
pin it4 5 Tips For Increasing Your Photography Facebook Fan Page Reach

1 – Have a system in place that helps you to post consistently.  Consistency in posting will make or break your business page, and if your non existent for a while, so will your fans be.   Take the time to create a schedule for the month of when you are going to post what.   Don’t do images every single day or your fans will start to tune you out.  Post the link to your blog post one day, then a few days later actually post those same images into your post.  It’s great to engage in updating your status or personal commentary in between posting images.   Check out online social media organizers.

2 – Tag your clients in every picture that you post, and also tag your own business page on the same photos.  By tagging them, it will put your picture into their feed and in front of their friends and family.  And by tagging your business, if someone clicks on the image it takes them to your site.  This can bring in new people that are your clients’ friends and fans; as they browse their images they will eventually make it over to your page.

3 – Create a landing page for your new visitors that are not yet fans.  Be sure it has a call to action to “like” your page.  Once they have become a fan, that welcome page can change to another page that gives great information as well as links to your website.  For examples of landing pages, see the MCP Actions Page, Amy Fraughton’s Photography Page and Melissa Jill Photography.   To create your own landing page, watch this great tutorial.

4 – Provide good content.  What are your fans on your page for?  Amazing photography!  They are not there for good recipes and parenting tips, they are there to be amazed with your photography.  Adding personal stories and sharing about yourself is always good, but be sure that you include some great photography as well.  Also, be sure to add your best pictures when posting on Facebook, and have your very favorite picture be the album cover, so that is what they see.  It doesn’t make sense to use your 2nd or 3rd best images; your work really needs to shine!

5 – Take advantage of shooting large groups of people. Then be sure those large groups of people know where to find the images that you shot on your Facebook page.  Place an album on your Facebook business page of all of the images from this group and in the comments section, instruct them that they may “tag” themselves in the image by first “liking” your page.  Be sure that your watermark is on every one of these images and they are tagged back to you.  This is a great way to get a lot of people liking your page in a short period of time.  Do you shoot weddings?  Be sure to add the pictures from the reception and invite guests to tag themselves.  Do you have a large event coming up?  Be sure the attendees know that they can find the images online.  Don’t have an event?  Find one.  It will only increase your exposure both in person and on Facebook.

Be careful not to run too many contests where you are promoting other photographers and vendors to join your page as fans.  That can give you a false sense of security that you have 600 fans and that you’ll be getting all kinds of phone calls for work, when in actuality the number of fans that are truly your target market may be much smaller.

Remember, be patient, slow and steady wins the race, and that is true for growing your Facebook fans as well.

Amy Fraughton and Amy Swaner are the founders of Photo Business Tools, an online site offering business resources for photographers through blog posts, podcasts and downloadable forms.

5 Tips For Increasing Your Photography Facebook Fan Page Reach

MCP Guest Writer

This post was written by a MCP Guest Blogger. If you would like to contribute to the MCP Actions Blog, check out our Guest Writers Wanted page.

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Google Plus

Previous Post:
Next Post:

23 Comments and 4 Replies

Leanne says:

Great tips – and also you need to watch out for running contests on FB, especially photographers and crafters. Read FB promotion guidelines – fanning and liking is NOT allowed as a requirement for contests.

• Leanne – yes – you need to be very careful in regard to contests. MOST contests I have seen lately seem to violate things by making you do a million things on Facebook to qualify.

As 4, in your link, states: You must not condition registration or entry upon the user taking any action using any Facebook features or functionality other than liking a Page, checking in to a Place, or connecting to your app.

(Basically you can ask that someone like your own page – at least that is how my legal counsel interprets this). Of course everyone should check with their own legal advisers.

Celine says:

I just started a facebook page (a couple of weeks ago). I’m not a professional but I went for the cheeky Welcome page ;-). What do you think?: http://www.facebook.com/Celine.M.Photography

Kandice says:

Yes please! This is exactly what I have been struggling with, so thank you for your timing in posting this advise! One big question, if anyone can answer it: I can’t figure out HOW to tag photos on my business page. It doesn’t work the same way as my personal page; I can’t see a button and if I click on the photo itself it just moves to the next photo. Am I missing something?

• Melissa says:

I also wonder this. I have to be friends with them on my personal page before it will let me tag anybody. Even if they “like” my business page, I still can’t tag them.

Amy says:

Hi, I’m not a professional (yet…it’s in the works). After a social event I had a couple of parents request that I don’t share the pictures with too many people, only people in our small community. However I would like to tag the other people and post pics of other people from the same event so that my own friends (and friends of friends) can see them…..any suggestions on how to handle this?

• Kandice says:

I have always made it a point to inform my clients before we shoot that I will be posting the photos on my blog and on Facebook. This is my only means of advertising, and the fact that it is free helps keep my rates low. I haven’t yet encountered anyone who had an issue with that, but I know many who do.

My only suggestion would be to find as many photos as you can from the event that do not include the people requesting privacy. On the group photos including those people, you can just tag the people who don’t mind and keep the others somewhat anonymous. I don’t know if that will work, but I guess it’s just what I would do!

Cindi says:

Great article – thanks! This is something I’ve been meaning to work on!

Erin says:

Thanks for this! I didn’t know about tagging my business page on the pictures. Super helpful!

Kandice, Melissa, and Michelle,

To tag the photo, you need to open it large, then in the bottom left corner under the image is a link that says “tag this photo” and once you click on it a list of your friends in your personal page will open up and you can choose who you want to tag. In order to tag someone on your business page, they must be your friend on your personal page. This is frustrating to many photographers, but it can be an advantage. I just did another event with alot of random people and handed out my card that says they can grab their photos online, leads them to my facebook page, and instructs them to first “like” my page, then “tag” themselves. So, it helped me to grow my fanbase by having them come and like my page, and now I have the opportunity to be in front of them more often.
    Now, last week Facebook made another change to where they don’t have to first “like” your page in order to “tag” the photo, which would be a bummer in this situation, but it only applies to certain types of pages, and currently with my business page, they have to “like” it first before tagging.
    It has also helped tremendously to have a landing page when they first arrive that encourages liking my page. Good luck and hope this helps!

Lisa says:

You can not tag anymore….they can’t even tag themselves, according to my fans! It might really help to build my photography business!

Maioha says:

I went to the smart passive income youtube vid, but got really frustrated because he repeats himself so often! Gah! So I will have to watch it in installments or on a day when I am practicing more patience :-)

Tanya says:

I just started my business FB page also, but can not tag my friends even if they are on my personal page. I had to post it on my wall of the business page, then share it on my personal page and tag it there. I did tag the photo with my business page though, that was a great tip! Thanks!

Thanks for the article. While I knew most of it, I hadn’t considered tagging images. Great tip!

Jen says:

This is in reply to the tagging on your business page.

You must be friends with them on your personal page and logged into your personal page. Then go to your business page and you can tag them.

If you are logged in as your business it won’t let you tag anyone.

What a thorough article. I didn’t know you can change up the tabs across the top. Just starting a page for a client and it still needs a lot of work.

James says:

Cheers. I wasn’t aware you can tag your business pages onto pictures.

artchick says:

I don’t have the default landing page option under Manage permissions. anything I can do to change that?

martin says:

I’d suggest using pre-made Facebook Apps. There is a number of decent apps for photographers which can boost your page popularity. I’ve got huge increase of traffic and amazing reviews since I’m using my Free Portfolio App. Contact me if you want a link to the app.

martin says:

I’m so happy I found this app for my page. This is Portfolio Tab Builder from hostFB Free Facebook Apps – http://apps.facebook.com/BuildYourFolio/

Gui says:

I actually really liked these tips, although I did try to tag people who I photograph but it wont let me… it lets me tag my page though. I dont know but, I’m gonna try and take group photos too, maybe that’ll help because right now I only have 21 fans… but then again I dont really get myself out there…
    Good Job:)

Amanda says:

Great tips! Thank you for reminding me I need to update my new facebook page with a landing “Welcome” page!

Great tips! I too have the same problem as mentioned above regarding tagging people to my fan page posts. I also have a problem tagging some personal friends vs others. Maybe it’s how they have set up their own profiles. Maybe someone can answer how we can communicate with people who have actually LIKED our pages? Facebook makes it hard to send posts to our fans, or to even Tag them on our own pages. AM I MISSING SOMETHING??

Herdy says:

Very interesting tips! I’m sure that your tips will be very helpful for me in promoting my business through Facebook fan page. Thanks so much…

Zuzana says:

Ok, can someone please explain “a landing Welcome” page? How do I get this done?

Thanks!

Kait says:

I LOVE these tips, but when I click on the pages that you say have good welcome pages, all I see is a normal looking page. Not a welcome page. Am I missing something? Thanks!!

Check out my page: http://www.facebook.com/kaitmariephotograph